Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bitter Melon

Cara Chow's Bitter Melon was an interesting read to me. After just having read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, this book really got me to thinking again. It is the story of Frances, a high school student, that is torn between trying to please her mother or choose her own desires for her future. Frances' mother is not an easy woman to please, she is a Chinese mother that reminded me of Battle Hymn....she can be mean, verbally and physically abusive, and there was not a bone of me that liked her by the end of the book. And yet, I could see how she did love her daughter and want more for her life than she had in her own life. It is a hard read - I hate seeing difficult relationships between daughters and mothers, but it was a good read - I was always challenged to think...and I like that! My favorite character was Ms. Taylor, the speech teacher, she is what I love to see in teachers - they get to know their students personally and encourage them in their talents and skills. This is worth the read - certainly take the time for it!

2 comments:

Martha A. said...

You thought it was a good read in spite of disliking the mother so much? It sounds interesting!

Beckyb said...

I did enjoy it - and I felt the Mom really showed her true feelings - especially at the end - she did love her daughter - it was just hard for her to show it in any way except harshness. It was a good read even though that is NOT how I want to mother!

Search This Blog