Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

After all of the controversy surrounding this book - I knew I had to read it for myself. AND?!!?!? I really enjoyed it! The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua is a book about how Chua chose to raise her daughters - after the Chinese style of her parents and those for generations in her family. It was not at all a treatise on how Western parents should raise their children, but it was an honest look at what Chua sees as some of the differences. I don't even think Chua feels the Chinese way is necessarily always the "right" way, she has moments where I felt she questioned some of the ways she was taught. But she does have some honest and valid points in parenting. She is able to laugh at herself - I LOVE that. We have to - we are going to make some poor choices in parenting so being able to admit that goes a long way. I thought the book was fair and very well-written. I had heard from others that it was a slam on parenting in the Western culture - I didn't find that to be true at all. It will make you think, however, but I think that's good too!!

No comments:

Search This Blog