Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Help

I just finished Kathryn Stockett's The Help and wish I weren't done. This is one of those books that just drew me in and kept me to the very end. The Help refers to black slave women being "the help" around large southern plantation homes. I love the honesty in this book - what the black women may have felt being treated as they were by wealthy white women. It was very touching, the black ladies weren't considered even CLEAN by some of their white "owners" but the white children never questioned it - they loved these black women sometimes more than their own mothers. The storyline was powerful - what happens when "the help" each write their own story and it becomes published for all to read?? So honest, so powerful - not to miss!!

1 comment:

Missy B. said...

I want to read this! I love these types of books. Thanks for the great review!

Search This Blog