Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Defending Jacob

Previous to this, I had not read anything by William Landay.  But I picked up his latest book, Defending Jacob, and I do believe my jaw is STILL wide open - even finishing a week ago!  This book was not my typical read - I tend to not go to trial/lawyer stuff - it usually gets too deep into law for me.  But this one was a riveting read - kept me going right from the start!  It is the story of Jacob, a 14 year old boy, charged with murder of a school mate - BUT Jacob is also the son of Andy Barber, the assistant district attorney for more than 20 years.  There are twists all throughout this novel - and you really get involved as you can relate to the narrator, Andy, as he battles the doubt, fear, and worries that any parent would encounter going through a court case like this.  I truly enjoyed this novel - it was tough but real.  What leaves my jaw sagging is the ending - NO SPOILERS HERE - but if you read it - please leave a comment - I mean really, that's the end!?!?!?  I demand a sequel!!!

Pick it up - it is well worth the read!  It is a murder/thriller that is guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couple of comments. Was Laurie not charged? They sound like Andy left the court for the last time. I also felt Andy was often dilusional about what and who his son was. I felt Laurie carried all the preasure and insight to what was really there life. I felt Any looked away many times.

Anonymous said...

Laurie was a bit under developed as a character and it was obvious one of two things did happen; 1) You could imagine her doing what she did at the end. 2) that she was the killer who killed to protect her son.
On the whole, a very good read.

Search This Blog