Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Language of Flowers

Vanessa Diffenbaugh's The Language of Flowers is simply MAGNIFICENT!  I loved everything about this book - the  characters are strong and well-developed and the storyline is powerful.  The story begins on page one and never lets you go until the very end.  NOW, the subject matter is very difficult - there is nothing easy about reading about a child that is bounced around through the foster system and how hardened she becomes, but it is one of the richest books I have read in a long time!  Victoria's story is one that will break your heart - I kept wanting the best for her - but she just keeps sabotaging herself with her wrong choices.  I felt for her - I wanted to help her.  But what broke my heart the most is that MANY children live this life - and seeing what may become of them as they age out of the system just is so hard to read.  I highly recommend this book - as hard as the story is to read.  I emailed my friend just as I was 20 pages from the end and told her thanks for recommending it to me to read, but that the last 20 pages were bittersweet - I needed a break from her very hard story, but I did not want any of it to end!!

No comments:

Search This Blog