Monday, January 25, 2010

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

One of the recent Newbery Honor Winners was The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly.  This was one I read before the list came out (yeah for me!!) and I was glad I read it.  I enjoyed this character - 11 year old, Callie - she is just a sweet character.  She is not so sure she wants to follow the typical "girl" expectations of the 1800's and so hangs out with her Grandfather and explores science!  This is where Darwin/Evolution comes into the novel - her Grandfather is a strong proponent of Evolution and it's theories.  Even though that might not be something you adhere to, it is still a very tender story of a granddaughter and her grandfather.  It is also wonderful about the struggles of growing up and fitting in in a larger family.  It was a good read - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to our junior high readers.

No comments:

Search This Blog