Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Magician's Elephant

Is there anything better than a Kate DiCamillo novel???? Nope, I don't think so! SO when I started The Magician's Elephant, I knew I was in for a treat. She just does not disappoint! Once again, a tender story of a little boy who loses his parents and is left with an elderly militaristic man to raise him. Little Peter is convinced his small sister, whom he was asked to care for by his mother before she died, is still alive. When he visits the fortune teller, she confirms to him that his sister is indeed alive and that the elephant will lead him to her. Peter is encouraged and discouraged - he wants to find his sister, but there is certainly no elephant! That is the greatness - an elephant appears magically in his town and the journey begins. I love the way this tender story weaves itself together - each character plays a part in bringing you to the end - the grand culmination of love and family. Yoko Tanaka is a superb illustrator and weaves her spell again with the beautiful illustrations that lend to the mysterious quality in this story. Marvelous!! Visit the WEBSITE too - it is wonderful! And the scuttlebutt is that 20th Century Fox is soon to begin a movie based on the book - I'll take it!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, I really want to read this one. But Cybils got in the way :)

Unknown said...

On my to-be-read pile...Thanks for the review!

Search This Blog