Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Forbidden Daughter

When the publisher asked me to read The Forbidden Daughter by Shobhan Bantwal, I thought - why not - I love something new!?!? But I didn't realize what a wonderful "treat" I was in for. Bantwal is SUPERB - the book kept me riveted from page one! I loved the story, I loved the premise - what more can I say!?!? It is a topic that is near and dear to my heart - having my own daughter from China - and China having much the same practices on this topic as India. It was a refreshing novel, and I always enjoy a novel set in another country. I really can not say enough good about this wonderful, new novel. Here is what the publisher said:
"When a young widow refuses to comply with her in-laws' dictate to abort her unborn child, will her rebellion turn out to be the greatest mistake of her life, or a blessing in disguise? This is the story of one mother’s valiant fight to protect her daughters in a society that often frowns on female children, and the only man who will help her in her battle when the stakes become impossibly high.
THE FORBIDDEN DAUGHTER is woven around the hot-button social issue of vanishing girl children in contemporary India, where gender-based abortions and female infanticide continue to be practiced in some areas despite laws to ban the practices."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful. I'm adding it to my wish list.

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Sounds fantastic! Great reivew--I'm adding this to my TBR list.

Search This Blog