Saturday, March 03, 2007

Veil of Roses

Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald is a novel about a woman from Iran that is sent to America on a short stay visa and given instructions to find a husband so she can stay in America and have a better life than women are allowed to have in Iran. I found it a fascinating book - I did not know all of the cultural standards for women in the Middle East and it was eye-opening for me. I thought it was well-written and quite a wonderful story of first love. Tami is a naive gal in a new country and her "finds" in this new country are quite inspiring and funny. As usual, I need to put a disclaimer out there because there was some very vulgar language and "racy"descriptions in a few parts as Tami meets up with Eva - a woman well-versed in American sexual culture - and tries to teach her a thing or two!! All-in-all, I thought it was a great read that really made me think about the freedoms we have here in America that other countries will do ANYTHING to have as well.

6 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Sounds good! Thanks for the recommendation.

redmaryjanes said...

Hmmm...I know a Beckb and she is completely awesome!

Carrie said...

Thank you very much for the comment you left on my blog! I will link you up to my blog as I have really enjoyed perusing yours! Thanks for the introduction. Happy reading!

Alida Sharp said...

wow... I love books and finding your blog is a real treat! just out party hopping and I hope that you can stop by and see me in Russia sometime!

Monkey Giggles said...

Swinging in for the party. Welcome. I am glad you could make it...

I am having another party favor give away over at monkey giggles. Come on over when ya get a chance.

PARTY ON...

Anonymous said...

Once again, you have provided me with another great book for my reading list. Only took me a couple days to get through this one--very intereing glimpse into Iranian culture.

Search This Blog