Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Road

It's another "guest blogger" day - I asked my husband to give me a review on this book he just finished, The Road by Cormac McCarthy. So here it is - my husband's review:


To say that I enjoyed the book might sound a bit odd considering the topic. The story centers around two characters a father and a son. The two of them live in a post-apocalyptic world that was destroyed by
fire. There are very few survivors and most of those who have survived have turned into cannibals. Everyone is out to save themselves. As the father and son travel they struggle daily with obtaining the basic necessities for life.

The author’s writing style is very effective in that he
allows you to see a strong, convincing bond between the father and the son.
At first I was a bit disappointed with the ending but after pondering things for a while I think it was pretty good, as good as things could be in a world destroyed by fire. I don’t want to give the ending away but a couple themes I noticed are:

Love between a father and a son
The amazing resilience of a child
Innocence protected
How people can deteriorate to evil so quickly
Hope amidst a world where there is no hope
Trust that there is a remnant of good people.

This book could make for a good discussion group.

2 comments:

Dewey said...

I have this book coming to me free in the mail! A bookstore website found my blog and offered me a choice of four books for free, and suggested I might like to post in my blog about their new store. I haven't done that yet... I really should! But I can't wait til this book arrives.

Kimmie said...

I have wanted this book since I first saw the review in Time magazine ages ago. And now I keep getting Oprah's e-mail with the weekly discussion topic. I think I'll go for it tomorrow.

Search This Blog