Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Knitting Circle

Ann Hood's, The Knitting Circle, kept me intrigued to the very end. I found myself laughing, but more, crying often. The struggles that these women (and men) face are life's common struggles that many of us have faced. They find solace in each other AND knitting. I thought the whole premise of the story was wonderful - I love the idea of a knitting group that takes your focus off of your problems and onto a project - and yet where people can be together and help each other as well. Makes me want to take up knitting!! My main problem with the novel, and why I'd have a hard time recommending it??? Each of the women, when sharing their story, have sexual scenes - not graphic, but still there. Another issue I have?? One of the women and the man are homosexual - that just doesn't interest me and I'd rather not read about it. SO wish I could wholeheartedly recommend this one, I did enjoy it taken as a whole.

**A better book on knitting as therapy - and a wonderful story (geared to teens - but I loved it!!) is What I Call Life by Jill Wolfson. That one is worth checking out!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't yet read the book, but I heard that the author lost her young daughter and knitting was a way for her to get through that very painful time of her life.
Stephanie
www.thewrittenword.wordpress.com

Laura said...

I enjoyed the book too, but my concerns for recommending it were the same as yours. As a knitter, I know well the calmness that knitting can give me, but as a Christian, I can't find hope or redemption in knitting, and that's where the story failed for me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation, anything to do with knitting has me interested!

Search This Blog