Thursday, November 20, 2008

As Good As Anybody

Richard Michelson has written As Good As Anybody:  Martin Luther King Jr. and Abraham Joshua Heschel's Amazing March Toward Freedom.  I started this book and was thinking - another civil rights title - don't get me wrong - that is definately a worthy theme, but as a librarian, I have seen a lot of those titles and sometimes I wonder what will set them apart and make me want to purchase another!  So, I started reading - the first part of the book is told from Martin Luther King Jr's perspective - it was good, it got my attention.  THEN, I hit the second part of the book, told from Abraham Joshua Heschel's perspective - a Jew growing up in Europe.  That is when it hit me, WOW - I LOVE this!  I had never heard this aspect of the civil rights movement - and how Abraham and Martin, together, made such an impact and formed a powerful friendship as well.  Raul Colon is fabulous on the illustrations - the texture if beautiful.  Oh, and don't skip the afterward page - what a wonderful wrap-up to a very powerful story.

No comments:

Search This Blog