Friday, July 30, 2010

The Heart and the Bottle

Oliver Jeffers' The Heart and the Bottle is a children's book that I feel is really for adults - I read this book, re-read this book, and even read it a third time. It's message is amazing - it is subtle and yet so profound. I am sharing it with so many of the parents here at our library, but yet putting it in kids' hands too.

My favorite line: "...the girl thought the best thing was to put her heart in a safe place. Just for the time being. So, she put it in a bottle and hung it around her neck. And that seemed to fix things....at first." It resonates - isn't that what we all think? Just keep our hearts safe - protect them?? But we can't love that way - and that is what this little girl learns as well. I tear up every time I read it - it is one I will NEVER be able to read in story hour, in fact, my girls know that when I try to read this one out loud, I cry every time. But share it with your little ones AND your old ones - it is WONDERFUL!!

No comments:

Search This Blog