Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Whistling Season

I finished The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig for our "Let's Talk About It" at our library. I will say it wasn't one of my favorites, but I knew I had to finish it - so I kept plugging on. It wasn't horrible, but, as I was telling the ladies at our local retirement home, I just kept wanting more relational activity between the characters. The premise is wonderful - father left with three boys, spots an ad in the paper, "Can't cook but doesn't bite..." And so Rose and her brother, Morrie, head out to Montana so that Rose can be the new family's housekeeper. As it would happen, Morrie, becomes the new schoolmaster as well. I loved some of the scenes in the book with Morrie - he really was a powerful character. But otherwise the book left me wanting more - a LOT more between the characters! And the ending - well, I can't give anything away, but it wasn't what I had hoped for - let's just say that!



South Dakota had this book as their "One Book" choice - and if you want to use it as a book discussion, there is a very helpful guide HERE.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I just finished this as well. I agree - I wanted more out of the relationship between Oliver and Rose. I thought Doig's writing was wonderful, though.

Search This Blog