Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Me & Emma

I literally JUST FINISHED Me and Emma by Elizabeth Flock and I am saying, "I just can't believe it!!!" At first I was totally taken in by the story - a VERY dysfunctional family - a mother that remarries a total jerk - he abuses the two daughters - the abuse is horrible - physical, verbal, and sexual - you come to almost hate the mom and her new husband. But, in the telling, you come to love Carrie and Emma. Carrie lives just trying to protect Emma - life is not easy for them, but they stick together and protect one another. They eventually meet Mr. Wilson - a kind, elderly neighbor - who teaches them how to use a gun - yes, you know where this is going - I thought so too - BUT - NO YOU DON'T!!!! There is an absolutlely amazing turn right at the end - I was stunned - that is all I will say - SOMEONE please read this so we can chat!!!!!!

I loved the storyline - it was quite a touching story - but yes, it was tough to read - I just HATE it when adults abuse children - enough said!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's chat! I've read and loved this book too and was also completely taken by the ending. AMAZING!! My email is amandalsnow@yahoo.com if you really want to chat about it!

Anonymous said...

I read this book about a year ago, so I'm a bit fuzzy with details (but of course remember the big twist)!
Stephanie
www.thewrittenword.wordpress.com

Becky said...

I'll have to look into this one. I'm so overwhelmed at the moment, but maybe I can fit it in somewhere :)

Literary Feline said...

Me and Emma is a terrfic novel--very sad and not at all an easy read. I read it quite a while ago, but it's stayed with me. I wasn't surprised with the twist near the end, having begun to suspect the truth about halfway through. If you go back and reread the book, you will find that there were little signs all along the way leading up to the ending. The author did an amazing job.

Anonymous said...

Well, I went and read the book. I guess I'm not much of a detective because I was not expecting the ending even though you warned us that it was surprising. Still mulling over the book. Very engrossing, but so sad.

Eileen said...

I'm a little late but I'm reading this book right now. I'll get back to you after I finish!

Unknown said...

I read this book last year for a fee choice for english class and I loved it! I chose to read it again, possibly getting something from it. (:

Kathy said...

I read this book about 2 years ago, in my "pre-blogging" days, but am just now preparing a "nostalgia post" about it. Found your post when I was searching google for a picture to add to my post. Since it's nearly 3 years later, you're probably not as eager to chat about it, but the book sure has stuck in my mind for the past 2 years!

Anonymous said...

I red this book, English is my second language. I have had red a lot of books but this one was a little hard to understand. something it not clear to me is if Emma was only in Coraline's mind?

AmyWoz said...

I actually just found this as I was looking something up to post my own blog about the book. This was my second time reading it and I absolutely loved it both times, and took completely different things out of it each time as well. After knowing how the it turns out, the entire story takes on different meaning for me. It's incredible. I know it's a long time later, but if you would still like to chat, let me know!

Search This Blog