Tuesday, March 06, 2012

The Dressmaker

In honor of the 100th Anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic - I couldn't resist picking up this new book by Kate Alcott, The Dressmaker.  I liked it - it was a story that was easy to follow.  I guess I wished for more of the actual "Titanic" story, but having the boat sink within the first 50 pages or so - I guess you can see how that isn't going to happen.  I did like following the court proceedings after the sinking - that was interesting and a part of history that I was not very familiar with.  The storyline with Tess, a servant girl that gets on the Titanic by being willing to come to America with a famous dress designer, is interesting too.  She forms relationships with two men while she is on the Titanic and must ultimately choose between the two.  It is a very light read - but there was enough interest running with the court proceedings and the wealthy and how they handled the Titanic's sinking to keep you reading.

No comments:

Search This Blog