Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Kitchen Chinese

Ann Mah's Kitchen Chinese was recommended to me. Having traveled to China twice, I was immediately drawn into the story - not only reminiscing over places I had seen but also over food in China. The main character, Isabelle Lee, is a young woman that chooses to go back to her homeland, China, after living in the U.S. for most of her life. When she gets to China, she can not find a job with her limited Mandarin, so she works for an ex-pat newspaper writing culinary reviews. The whole book was just so fun - the storyline is great with Isabelle being pestered by her mother constantly for her lack-of-dating and the attempts at dating that she encounters while in China. I also appreciated the whole sister-relationship as Isabelle lives with her sister, Claire, while in China. The relationship between the two sisters is interesting and keeps you guessing through the whole story why it is as strained as it is. I thoroughly enjoyed it - my only disclaimer is the occasional use of very vulgar language - totally unnecessary, but somehow it finds its way in!!

No comments:

Search This Blog