Thursday, July 23, 2009

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

If you've read my blog at any length - you know I adore Grace Lin. Her work is fabulous - her illustrations are magnificent - Need I say more?!!? Well, her latest novel, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is truly a work that shines. I love it that this is a novel AND a novel set in China. It is an intricately woven story - the story of Minli - a young girl that is off to find The Old Man of the Moon and see how she can change her family's fortune. There are magnificent illustrations throughout- they add authenticity and a wonderful Asian feel to this story. My favorite part of this novel is the way that Lin weaves old Chinese tales into her story - she explains some within the story and then leaves you wanting more. I truly LOVED this book and can't wait to tell all of my junior high readers about it - I REALLY want to use it in a book club with our young teens - but right now it's too new to inter-library loan so I must wait!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Very sweet. I really enjoyed the moral.

Search This Blog