Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Double Bind

I was given a recommendation to read anything by Chris Bohjalian and so I picked up Double Bind. I must say, it was quite a read. Not probably one I would have picked up on my own, but from page one, I was intrigued. I won't say "hooked" because sometimes I kept wondering "Where is this going??" But it kept me guessing all the way to the end, and I was surprised at how it all concluded. Laurel - the main character - is given an assignment for her job to prepare some photos, left by a homeless man, for a fundraiser for their homeless shelter. However, in all of her research, she becomes quite entrenched in the project and even leaves friends and family behind to solve her puzzle. I loved the mystery involved, and it is an interesting study into mental illness. I won't say it's the best read ever, but it did keep me interested - and yes, the ending was quite a shock - not at all what I was anticipating!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love all of Chris Bohjalian's books. I wouldn't say the Double Bind was my favorite. I really liked some of his other books better: Before You Know Kindness, The Law of Similars, and Trans-sister Radio.

Search This Blog