Friday, June 01, 2007

The Wednesday Wars

Gary Schmidt has done it again - The Wednesday Wars is a superb read!! I think I slowed WAY down at the end just so it wouldn't end!! Holling Hoodhood is a seventh-grader that you just can't help but love. He has all the hard knocks a seventh grader could have and yet comes out on top!! He is a class act - he learns to enjoy Shakespeare AND can wear yellow tights with feathers on the butt and still show his face in school the next day. All set in the backdrop of the Vietnam War. That is what I love about Schmidt - you are transported back just by reading his novels. He is a wonderful author and I fall in love with his characters every time! If you haven't read it already - Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy is another of Schmidt's novels that makes my top favorite list!

No comments:

Search This Blog