Monday, April 02, 2007

Cracker

I recently finished Cracker! The Best Dog in Vietnam by Cynthia Kadohata and what did I do?? I ran right out and bought my own copy!!! My boys are so "into" war novels and this one is truly a "keeper." BUT - I wasn't surprised - I have been a big fan of Kadohata - - - - Even before I got to meet her and talk with her over lunch!!!!! This is a wonderful story of a dog that is sent to Vietnam as an army dog. He and his trainer, Rick - form an incredible bond ~ one that makes that story almost too difficult to finish. But don't let the fear of a sad ending keep you from finishing - it is a wonderful book. It had a lot of army information that my boys will devour and gave great insight into the war - I could tell Kadohata did her research as much of it "rang true" with me from things my own Dad has shared from his experiences. We classify this one as Young Adult in our library because of the war scenes. But I am going to let my son read it now - and he is an early teen. Wonderful, Wonderful book!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a book my daughter would love! We'll have to check it out! Thanks for the helpful reviews!!!

~Monica

Search This Blog