Monday, February 27, 2012

The Flight of Gemma Hardy

Jane Eyre is a book I can read over and over and it never ceases to capture me!  I love so many things about that wonderful book.  SO, when I hear of modern versions, of course, I must read them and see if I approve!  Margot Livesey's The Flight of Gemma Hardy is a modern version of Jane Eyre that is one of the best I've read that follows the storyline of the traditional book.  What I enjoyed about Livesey's novel is the intricacy in the history of the life of Gemma - you follow her life from her very young days all the way to when she meets Mr. Sinclair.  It isn't a contrived book that has to follow the Jane Eyre storyline so closely that it looses it's own story.  It veers just enough from the original that it is truly its own story - and that is what gives it the strong like-ability factor!  During my reading, I came to feel for Gemma and her very tough life - I found myself cheering for her, although she didn't need it - she is plenty tough all on her own!  This is a great read - read it if you love Jane Eyre, read it even if you don't since it's a wonderfully strong story all on its own!

No comments:

Search This Blog