Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The Shack

Having just finished The Shack by William P. Young, I am left with LOTS of questions. Has anyone else read this?? It is incredibly popular right now - we can hardly keep it in at our library - and with a review from Eugene Peterson like this, "This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress did for his. It's that good!" I just had to read it. So, I read it - I am finished I just have a million questions!

It really is a fascinating story - that is supposedly told to the author by Mack - the main character in the story. Mack looses his daughter at a campground - she is abducted and murdered. Mack is, obviously, horrified, and blames himself and is very angry with God. So he gets an invitation - an invitation written from "Papa" to come and meet at the very shack near where his daughter was killed. Mack goes - he, questioningly goes to the shack and has a weekend encounter with physical manifestations of the trinity. It shakes up everything that I have been taught in some ways - in others, it brings to life - and explains many of the questions I have had for years. All I can say is - Would someone please read this and chat with me!?!?!? :)

There is even a website dedicated to the whole idea of this book - theshackbook.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found this review helpful

http://www.challies.com/archives/book-reviews/a-review-of-the-shack-download-it-here.php

Carol said...

Well, Becky, I read this book but I wouldn't say I loved it. I'd have to think a lot more about it, but it made me uncomfortable all the way through. Somehow I feel that it insulted and diminished the grandeur of God.

Interesting read, but not one I'd recommend.

Busy Mama said...

TOTALLY agree Carol - I felt part of it was not at all what I have been taught - it made me very uncomfortable - other parts I thought were good - maybe how we can view God's love - hmmm - see, that's why I wanted people to chat about it!

Search This Blog